Monday, October 16, 2006

*Puff* *Puff*...Sorry...I'm Running Late!

Sorry...I know, I'm late! I hope you didn't go hungry over the weekend. I kept meaning to share some recipes with you. I failed miserably, didn't I? There's really no excuse I can give you...it was just the way the cookie crumbled!

I bought a fondue set for myself the other day at a second-hand shop (local 'Op Shop'). I used to have one...an electric one. I think when I left Mackay to move down to Gympie back in 1998, I foolishly left it at the motel I'd been managing at that time. It was a very handy fondue made by National. I've never seen one other than the one I had. I've still got the power cord and the food draining rack, but they are of little use to me without the rest of it! Being able to freely and easily control the temperature was very handy, indeed! Anyway, now I've got myself another one...this one has the metho-burner underneath for heating...I'm going to throw a couple of fondue luncheons somewhere down the track. I've got a luncheon planned in November and I'm guessing I probably won't be entertaining before then. I won't use the fondue set for my November luncheon as I'll have too many people for a 'comfortable fondue'. I like to plan ahead, so I'm going to share some fondue sauces with you. It sounds like I'm going to have hordes here for my November lunch...this is not so... I think there will only be about 10...which still is too many for a fondue.

When I used to have fondues, which was often, I either had seafood fondues or beef fondues the majority of the time. With the seafood, I used strips of fresh fish fillets, green prawns, squid and sea scallops. With the beef together with using tender beef, I'd also serve various vegetables cut suitably for easy cooking. I also used to serve 'potato gems' for table-top cooking. I don't know if 'gems' are even procurable any more. However, I'm sure there's something similar on the market just as suitable.

Curry Chutney Sauce: Combine in food processor: 1/2 cup each natural yoghurt, good quality mayonnaise, mango chutney, drained and chopped, 1tspn fresh lime juice, 2 teaspoons toasted curry powder, 2 tablespoons minced red (Spanish) onion and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, toasted...pulse a couple of times. Pour into bowl, cover and chill several hours. This will keep up to three days in the refrigerator.
Horseradish Cream Sauce: Mix in a bowl: 1 cup sour cream, 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 2 shallots finely diced, 1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Prepare a couple of hours before using. Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce: Combine in bowl: 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise, 1 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons hot whole-grain mustard, salt, pinch of cayenne or to taste. Hoisin Dipping Sauce: Combine 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/2 hoisin sauce and 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup.

One way you could do a fondue is to heat up the oil in which ou've marinated your garlic prawns...using the long fondue forks, cook your prawns and scallops etc., at the table. Marinate the seafood in olive oil, garlic (lots of it!), salt, ground pepper, finely diced shallots, pinch of chilli or cayenne, a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice....before you commence your meal...remove the seafood from the oil...and away you go! Have lots of crusty bread at the ready!

Now ... I need to find is that tall, dark, handsome stranger to join me over a table for two...the fondue is ready...the candles are in the holders...the wine is maturing...and at this rate, so am I! I'll be past my 'used by date' by the time he turns up!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:40 AM

    That Humpty Dumpty never learns, does he?

    Love the sauce recipes, gonna have to try those. Thank you!

    How was your trip to Ipswich. It's much nicer doing the scenic route, isn't it? As yet, no rain here but we're anticipating!

    Yeah, cuckoo burrow??? It's different, another one with an off the wall sense of humour - I love it!

    Talk to you later, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't go to Ipswich until tomorrow, Robyn...Wednesday...we're leaving early as the couple I'm going with have an appointment there at 9 am. We only go to the Yamanto side of Ipswich, (south-western side, I guess), not right into the city proper. On the way back out again we're going to stop off at the Yamanto Shopping centre and do a spot of shopping. Each time I go off the mountain, which is infrequently, is when I re-stock my underwear drawer, because underwear is one of the few things not available up here on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete